• Breaking News

    Saturday, August 8, 2020

    Fire Emblem My Timeskip Hilda cosplay!

    Fire Emblem My Timeskip Hilda cosplay!


    My Timeskip Hilda cosplay!

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 12:59 PM PDT

    Does Seteth Win Into the Dawn?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 03:39 AM PDT

    Kagero is pretty cool

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 10:37 AM PDT

    fire emblem, with a pinch of cringe....

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 05:24 AM PDT

    A doodle of Hannemanuela ft. 3 houses students + Cyril

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 02:05 PM PDT

    Dimitri and Celica Crossover - (Inspired by u/AnotherChosenOne)

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 09:20 AM PDT

    Sophia looking adorable ������ [Commission]

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 06:01 AM PDT

    International Cat Day, so sleepy Lysithea and Claude with cats

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 12:54 PM PDT

    Fire Emblem Retrospective: Oh God am I about to defend Revelation

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 05:41 PM PDT

    Hi all, previous post on conquest.

    I guess before I even start going into the thread, I should address the elephant in the room. Revelation is usually regarded as the worst game in the series, especially by people who haven't played Gaiden and thus haven't experienced the nightmare that is playing Gaiden normal mode. As for myself, I hadn't experienced Rev before playing it for the sake of this retrospective, and I'm glad I played it. Perhaps it's because of my rock bottom expectations (especially after having watched Mekkah's playthrough of it), or perhaps it's just because I turned around on Fates in general, but I had a pretty okay time with this one. I suppose I should get into it to properly explain what I mean.

    Story

    Gonna keep this one brief. The actual plot is kinda bad and feels like it meanders a lot. The first like, half of the game or so is just Corrin gathering help to get back into Valla to get the actual plot of Rev going, and it's just not very exciting stuff. There are a few moments that are downright dumb, too, like Izana eating dust from making a prediction and it just sort of comes out of nowhere, or the Rainbow Sage just... Dying? Because he's old? These moments are just kinda confusing since they're not characters you'd really care about, and I can't imagine most people would get emotional despite the games playing those off that way.

    That's not to say that there aren't decent moments in Rev. I kinda like the overall aesthetic of Valla and it was a pretty neat place to explore, and the post-death scenes with Mikoto/Sumeragi/Arete were actually pretty nice. Not because we care about the one who died, but rather because we care about the way it affects the people that are close to them. These are okay moments. The final chapter was pretty neat too, in terms of visuals - which in this case I'm counting in the story since it adds to the atmosphere of the fight. Xander and Leo coming to rescue you with their retainers was also rather nice. Yet, that's not enough for me to really consider the story... Good. It's just sorta there. Dumb in places, okay in others, there most of the time.

    But the nitty gritty plot of the story isn't really the unique selling proposition of Revelation, it's the interaction between Nohrian and Hoshidan royals, and that's the part of Rev's story elements that I would personally say succeeded, especially in the cross-game supports. I'm not aware if I just lucked into doing only the good ones for the ones I picked (Selena Subaki, Leo Sakura, Ryoma Xander), but between those and the interaction that both royal families had during the main story, I actually had a pretty decent time reading it. It helps that I'm coming off of CQ and BR, and that I quite enjoyed the royals in both games.

    I'm not really gonna go into more details on the story. All that's really important is that I liked the character interactions while the plot wasn't super great. I don't have a lot to say here. Moving on, then.

    Gameplay

    I feel like this one is where the hot take really lays. So I guess to begin with, what didn't I like about it? Well, there's plenty wrong with Revelation. Unit balance is an absolute joke that can only really be fixed by a copious amount of grinding or by such heavy favoritism that you'd be soloing chapters worth of enemies with a single character. Units will often join later than they do in their original game, but their stats haven't been adjusted. I don't know if this is intentional or a mistake, because some characters do get autoleveled (Silas), while others (Effie) do not. The thing is, Effie and Silas join in the same chapter of both Rev and CQ, so did the devs just not like Effie or something? It's really strange.

    The second point of contention is the maps. I'm not going to be making any waves when I say that maps that enforce waiting like the elevator map is a rather bad thing, or chapters that are just clones of Conquest maps - but worse! The port map went from one of my favorite maps in the series, one of those that I can think of when I think "What's a good FE map?" to "What the fuck is this" just with a simple objectively change. The rainbow sage map wasn't particularly good to begin with, but it at least had some interesting gimmicks in birthright with the enemy stats, and was "okay" in conquest. Here, it's trash, with a deployment limit that is severely nerfed reducing your options and making it just last longer for no reason. And let's not forget the snow shoveling map, where you can technically get it done pretty quickly, but to do so means getting massive FOMO over the stat boosters that you're ignoring. And you can't really play it fast if you're going for stat boosters, since you only have 6 people, one of which is Azura, and another of which is probably Sakura or Jakob for healing. It's awful.

    And yet, despite this, you know what? I had a good time. Yeah, some maps are garbage, but there are also pretty good maps like chapters 18 and 19. I like the endgame. Even the Valla maps aren't that bad if you're using fliers since you can just skip the waiting by flying over the map. This isn't me saying it has good maps, mind you, but rather that it has serviceable maps. That I am able to enjoy myself on these maps, thanks to the sandbox.

    Playing only Conquest or Birthright, there are things that you had access to in order to customize your units, but this is expanded in rev by giving you the full roster, and that's pretty neat imo. Between using Hoshidan mothers for Nohrian kids, and thus getting their classes on the kid, or just using friendship/partner seals, you have more options that you can go for. And sure, none of them are optimal. Royals go brr is the way to play rev. But I didn't do that. I made a master ninja midori (which granted can be done in all routes) with Mozu as her mom, I went for Caeldori with Selena as her mom, and I went with Dark Knight Sakura because the idea of Sakura as a dark knight was hilarious to me. And using these units, I had some fun, even if it was playing these basic-ass to somewhat annoying maps at times.

    Conclusion

    So like, is this game good? Well, if you were asking me "Do I think it's high quality?" then... No, not really.

    But I had fun with it. I enjoyed myself. And that's more than I can say of other games on this retrospective. I would say I had more fun playing this than I had fun playing FE7 or Gaiden, and even Awakening, because Fates mechanics are just that good. Just messing around with them in a sandbox setting with meh maps was... Okay. Was it better than Conquest? Yeah no. Of course not. But it was an okay time! I wouldn't want to play this over CQ most of the time, but I would still rather play it over FE7, or over Gaiden, and that's not what you usually hear when talking about Revelation. It's not great, it's ust, you know, not the worst thing ever.

    submitted by /u/peevedlatios
    [link] [comments]

    Dimitri by JuHaiHai

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 07:21 PM PDT

    [PSA] Intelligent Systems wrote SS, Koei Tecmo wrote AM, VW, and CF

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 03:58 PM PDT

    FE Avatars and Sugoi Dekai

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 07:23 PM PDT

    January 1994 Nintendo Power talks about some weird RPG that never made it to the USA.

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 06:16 PM PDT

    Garreg Mach yearbook [imperial year 1181]

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 08:50 PM PDT

    Marth fan art by me

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 11:15 PM PDT

    It's Magikarp Community Day in Pokémon GO, and Flayn could not be more stoked.

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 11:39 AM PDT

    |OC| Umbrella

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 10:53 AM PDT

    Take a well-known line from one of the games and make it overly verbose

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 05:33 AM PDT

    For example, "Kill every last one of them!" would become "Ensure that all of the individuals we perceive to be our enemies are injured in such a manner as to render their vital organic functions incapable of providing the necessary components for survival."

    I don't know how I came up with the idea but screw it, it sounded funny.

    submitted by /u/TheGraveKnight
    [link] [comments]

    I drew an Ethlyn. Favorite healer.

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 01:52 PM PDT

    My Three Houses final classes (Not based on in-game best classes)

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 07:25 PM PDT

    [OC] Would you have tea with Inigo for his birthday?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 08:42 AM PDT

    .: Stars around my Scars (Dimiclaude)

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 02:07 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment