• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 28, 2020

    Fire Emblem I've been working on cosplaying Lady Rhea! :) I'm excited but nervous to tackle the rest of the sewing and accessories for her!

    Fire Emblem I've been working on cosplaying Lady Rhea! :) I'm excited but nervous to tackle the rest of the sewing and accessories for her!


    I've been working on cosplaying Lady Rhea! :) I'm excited but nervous to tackle the rest of the sewing and accessories for her!

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 05:56 PM PDT

    Posting this here too...

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 07:30 AM PDT

    Fire Emblem Black Ink II - Fallen Mareeta

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 05:19 PM PDT

    Here's a commissioned hand made drawing I made of Corrin's Dragon Ascent!

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 12:51 PM PDT

    Drew Mercedes

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 05:52 PM PDT

    tag urself, i’m religious lesbian

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 10:35 AM PDT

    [OC] "Ara ara, am I not good enough for you?" Why? Because I can. :)

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 01:00 PM PDT

    chibi flayn!

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 01:43 PM PDT

    Reducing Sylvain to nothing but a misogynist is unfair to his character

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 02:05 PM PDT

    I played Three Houses back in March, and Sylvain quickly became one of my favorite characters. However, after a few months being on this sub, I feel like I can't say "I like Sylvain" without attaching dozens of asterisks and disclaimers. Reasons I feel this way:

    • There are countless posts and comments expressing sentiments along the lines of "Why would you like Sylvain? He's a misogynist" and "Lol Sylvain hates women, why would you marry him"
    • On posts asking about your favorite character, I've had people reply to my comments (completely unasked for) to insult his character and make me feel like less of a person for liking Sylvain

    I feel that this sentiment is very unfair to the complexity and growth of his character, as well as to people like me who might actually (believe it or not!) like his character, even while recognizing his flaws. So in this post, I hope to offer some clarity as to why I personally enjoy his character. (Apologies in advance for the long post.)

    Explaining Sylvain's "misogyny"

    • Sylvain is not a misogynist for shits and giggles. In his support with Byleth, he only admits to only hating women who use him for his crest. This is a huge difference than the blanket "Sylvain hates all women" statement that I see expressed on this sub quite often.
    • Another reason for Sylvain acting the way he does: Sylvain is a victim of a lifetime of abuse and trauma due to his toxic family circumstances where he was objectified by his parents and shunned by his brother for being a crest bearer whose sole duty is to carry on the Gautier legacy (see Marianne's support, for example). I mean, Miklan literally tries to kill Sylvain multiple times during his childhood. I believe this is why Sylvain becomes so cynical about the world and his own status in it, leading him to internalize that all women are only approaching him so that they can "have his Crest babies." This belief likely causes him to proactively hurt them before they can hurt him. This is a sociological phenomenon known as a self-fulfilling prophecy, where a person's expectations about someone can lead to that someone behaving in ways which confirm their expectations.
    • This explanation doesn't excuse his actions, but as seen in his other supports, he is capable of having respectful friendships with women who he sees appreciate him for more than just his crest and nobility. For example, his support with Mercedes shows him letting his walls down as he realizes Mercedes wants to see him for his authentic self. His S support with Byleth and paired endings with female characters also demonstrate how he outgrows his philandering nature, cutting his flirtatious ways to fully dedicate himself to his partner, family, and duty.

    Overall, while Sylvain's earlier actions can most definitely be seen as misogyny (toying with women's feelings), I believe that Sylvain's behavior grows (and improves) throughout the game and his supports. He is able to demonstrate meaningful connections with those that see through his fronts and ends as a character that is loyal to his friends and family.

    Sylvain other's overlooked traits

    • Sylvain is fiercely loyal to his friends. For example, in Sylvain and Felix's supports, Sylvain demonstrates an intense dedication to his childhood promise with Felix to "stick together until we die together." He also has many monastery quotes that support this. For example, when he joins the BE, he tells Byleth "I promised to fight alongside you. I'm here until the end." In Azure Moon after Dimitri's redemption, even though expresses that he can't forgive Dimitri for his actions, Sylvain still says "I'm gonna be there for him all the way to the end."
    • Sylvain is actually very intelligent. As seen in his supports with Annette, he is able to understand complex magical formulas at an eye's glance. However, he purposely acts dumb because he wants to avoid people placing "suffocating" expectations on him.
    • Acting dumb is an instance of a more broad character trait: Sylvain consistently hides his true self as a defense mechanism. Sylvain has one of the strongest facades in the entire game. For example, his support with Marianne hints that this cheerful nature is almost always faked and that he only maintains it to "help me focus and set free all of that power I never asked for." Furthermore, Sylvain likely suffers from self-esteem issues. In his supports with Annette, he highlights the contrast between how special others think he is vs. how he views himself.
    • Sylvain demonstrates goodwill in his supports. He helps Annette with her magic formula, encourages Marianne to smile and see the world around her, praises Bernadetta's writing, and protects Felix from harm.

    Now for my big disclaimer

    After saying all this, I of course have to recognize that despite Sylvain's good points and reasoning, he actions are not justified. As we all know, intention and justification does not excuse consequence.

    However, I am tired of some people reducing and labeling Sylvain as nothing but a pure misogynist when his in game supports and growth demonstrate otherwise. There is so much more to his character that I feel is not as acknowledged on this sub sometimes. That being said, of course it's still perfectly fine for you to find his actions distasteful and for you to not be a fan of his character. Honestly, I'm even fine with people still labeling him as a misogynist if they truly believe that to be true even after reading through his supports in detail.

    However, all I ask is for folks to give the bare minimum of respect to people who do enjoy his character, and to not disparage them for their choices (especially if not asked for). I just want to feel like I don't have to attach an essay of explanations every single time I say I like Sylvain or otherwise face a torrent of downvotes.

    Thanks for reading this wall of text. I'd love to engage you in this conversation. Do you agree with my sentiments? If you disagree, I'd love to hear why as well if you keep it respectful. Cheers!

    —-

    Edit: Thank you all for your comments! Lots of good advice and different perspectives in this thread, and I appreciate the opportunity to discuss both Sylvain's character and the culture around liking characters in general with you all. Much love.

    submitted by /u/baeliph
    [link] [comments]

    Pandemic: from stickman figures to this

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 06:26 PM PDT

    Brawling constance

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 12:00 PM PDT

    So I heard the pope meme is making its rounds again

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 05:55 PM PDT

    [OC] Effie is floofed up and ready for pats!

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 12:10 PM PDT

    Byleth and the Beast (Based on Beauty and Beast AU)

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 02:09 AM PDT

    Fire Emblem Heroes - Legendary Hero (Dimitri: Savior King)

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 08:00 PM PDT

    Witch Corrin WIP for Halloween

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 11:28 AM PDT

    Rate my collection (all games incl the spinoffs exept thracia 776 as i ordered it only recently)

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 03:16 PM PDT

    I felt like drawing this kind of Lysithea the other day

    Posted: 27 Oct 2020 09:38 PM PDT

    Tharja Drawing

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 07:15 AM PDT

    Finished framing :)

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 08:39 PM PDT

    Lysithea/Claude/Dimitri/Edelgard in the avatar maker!

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 02:31 AM PDT

    A great cosplay of Claude by that handsome young man on the left

    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 07:48 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment