• Breaking News

    Friday, October 1, 2021

    Fire Emblem Anyone else think the character sprites in The Sacred Stones are kinda hilarious?

    Fire Emblem Anyone else think the character sprites in The Sacred Stones are kinda hilarious?


    Anyone else think the character sprites in The Sacred Stones are kinda hilarious?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 09:21 AM PDT

    Inktober - Edelgard

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 01:11 PM PDT

    Rhea [by Crescentia Fortuna]

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 01:33 PM PDT

    Rebecca (Best archer) commissioned by me

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 04:14 AM PDT

    I DEFINITELY underestimated how hard this project will be, but I'm going to finish it someday [Fire Emblem Cosplay Compendium]

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 01:43 PM PDT

    Day 1 of drawing Tharja each day for Inktober

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 04:29 PM PDT

    Grima Fanart (OC)

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 09:23 AM PDT

    Amalda and Lucia for the 2nd day of Inktober

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 05:39 PM PDT

    First time ever drawing an FE character, I don’t wanna color it cause I think I’ll ruin it�� but yeah here’s my rendition of Azura

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 07:19 PM PDT

    Got my very own crest of flames!

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 03:03 PM PDT

    Grumpy chibi Soren I drew!

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 09:36 AM PDT

    On Dimitri’s and Felix’s relationship (Will Contain Spoilers)

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 11:30 AM PDT

    So, I've seen a lot of things recently where people talk about how Felix being recruited into the other houses makes sense because of how Felix "hates" Dimitri and that their relationship is on the verge of breaking.

    I feel that people who say this honestly have a fundamental misunderstanding of not only their relationship, but also Felix himself. We learn very early on that they were best friends/inseparable since they were very young.

    Then we learn about how Felix saw the savage side of Dimitri in the rebellion two years prior to the story. That's what caused his view on Dimitri to change. But it wasn't to hate. It was to disappointment/regret.

    After the Edelgard reveal happens, Felix begs the Professor to "cage the wild boar". Noting that if he keeps up as he is, he's going to get himself killed. If he hated him, he wouldn't care about that. Then again in the time skip, he asks the Professor to bring back Dimitri to his old self.

    Felix still genuinely cares about Dimitri. What causes him to lash out isn't because he hates him or is disgusted by him. Plus, we see that Felix acts aggressive towards all of his friends to begin with (minus Annette lol). So it stands to reason what he says to Dimitri isn't what it looks like on the surface.

    No, rather it's Felix trying to get through to him. It's out of love and concern, not hate. All in all, this can simply be summarized as Felix just wants his best friend back and is constantly trying to get him back.

    Because of that, it actually makes no sense for Felix to join the other houses and give up on Dimitri. Especially if you see what he says in those routes...

    submitted by /u/ZackKurosaki
    [link] [comments]

    Genealogy of Holy War (FE4) is MUCH better on a 2nd playthrough!

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 06:04 AM PDT

    About a month and a half ago, I wrote a lengthy review of my first playthrough of Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. In case you don't want to read it, I'll sum it up by saying that my 1st playthrough was a very enjoyable though flawed experience. While the game had unique and fun gameplay systems to exploit, the biggest issue was that it did a poor job of teaching its mechanics to blind players.

    In my review last August, I said that I was going to take a hiatus from FE until 2022, but over the next few weeks, my thoughts on FE4 grew, so I decided to start a 2nd playthrough around early September. This time, though, I had full context for how to build my units and truly exploit the game's mechanics. Now that it's over, I can definitively say that FE4 is MUCH better on a 2nd playthrough—so much so that I now love the game.

    Lack of Tutorial/Guide for Blind Playthroughs

    While I didn't give an official score in my first review a month ago, my general feeling at the time was that the game was an 8/10. It was very good, but it had several flaws that held it back from being truly fantastic. Overall, most of my analysis from my initial review still holds, so it's not like my opinions were "incorrect." What has changed, however, is the context behind those issues.

    A majority of the critiques from my initial review revolved around the lack of guidance for blind players. If you play 100% blind and don't know about the Brave Axe or how to manipulate the RNG in the arena, you're going to get bodied by Chapter 2 (speaking from personal experience). The game has many fascinating and unique systems, but it's not necessarily explained/taught well within the game. It's what I like to call Xenoblade Chronicles 2 syndrome.

    Of course, when you play a game for a 2nd time, you know all the secret items and locations, so most of the focus is now on your long-term planning. Unlike with a 1st playthrough, you now know exactly what challenges lie ahead, so the long-term planning becomes much easier and less of a mental hurdle. Now, some may counter by saying that any game is easier the 2nd time through, but what makes FE4 more enjoyable the 2nd time is its versatile gameplay.

    Gameplay Variety on Repeat Playthroughs

    Now, I often hear this same argument for other FE games (like FE5), but there are some games where the same excuse isn't as strong. For example, FE6 is a game where once I finished it, I had no real desire to replay it. That game has a very clear hierarchy of units due to low growths and a lack of skills/grinding, so I don't feel Ogier is a good substitute for Dieck, and I have no intention of benching Alen & Lance for Noah & Trec.

    What makes FE4 more replayable is the pairing system as well as the skills system. Games like Awakening and Fates took the child unit concept from FE4 and implemented similar inheritance systems, but the difference is that the child units in those games were mostly optional and didn't affect the main campaign. In FE4, though, the child units are your main army in Gen 2, so your choice in pairings fundamentally changes the gameplay of the entire 2nd half.

    For example, if you do the canonical pairing of Lewyn-Erinys, Ced will inherit Forseti and become your best dodgetank in the game with 45 AS and 100+ Avo. The only issue is his 6 Movement, so you'll have to dance him repeatedly if you want him to keep up with your team. On the other hand, if you pair Lewyn with Tailtiu (which I did this time), Arthur will have Forseti from the start of Gen 2 (2 chapters before Ced) and promote into a Mage Knight for 9 Movement, but he'll lack Pursuit and need the Pursuit Ring to double.

    In other games, your variety came from using different units as each character had a defined skillset, but in FE4, an individual character could play very differently depending on their parents. For a Kaga-era FE game, this kind of customization in your Gen 2 units is eerily similar to the customization seen in more modern FE games (variable growths, different skill combos). As a result, FE4 feels less like a "hardcore" strategy game and more like a casual RPG, which I believe is a good thing.

    Surprisingly Competent Story Without Stupid Moments

    Like most people, I recognized during my 1st playthrough that the story in Gen 2 wasn't as complex as it was in Gen 1, but I was still fine with it overall since it was a standard yet coherent story. I've seen plenty of FE games where someone has to act stupid/incompetent for the plot, but every action in Gen 2 seems plausible. Even Manfroy disobeying Julius's order to kill Julia (the only person who can wield Naga) worked for me because Manfroy's arrogance had finally caught up to him. It was karmic retribution.

    When I first played the game, I was initially disappointed in the Battle of Belhalla scene because I thought the game did a poor job of setting up the Deirdre twist, but with a 2nd playthrough, I realized that the purpose of that reveal wasn't necessarily to shock the player but to poor salt on Sigurd's demise. The entirety of Chapter 5 is Sigurd realizing he's on a one-way ticket to death, and his final words to Seliph confirm that feeling. I guess I wasn't familiar with dramatic irony as a literary device when I first played.

    Another part that bothered me the first time was Arvis's unique dialogue with Seliph. Initially, I was disappointed that Arvis had pretty cliché villain dialogue vs. Seliph, but I then realized that he was intentionally playing the part of a ruthless asshole so that Seliph would muster up the resolve to kill him. Initially, my issue was that Arvis (even as he died) gave no acknowledgement to Seliph; however, I now realize Arvis was playing up the villain role for two reasons: to keep Julia safe (as she was being held hostage), and to repent for his sins (by having Sigurd's son kill him with Tyrfing).

    Highlights of My 2nd Playthrough

    After doing the popular pairings the 1st time (Lex-Ayra, Lewyn-Erinys, Azelle-Tailtiu, etc.), I decided to do all new pairings this time around. This made Gen 2 very different and refreshing as the kids all had different builds this time around. Some standouts included Lewyn!Arthur (who inherited the Pursuit Ring to become a god) and Lex!Patty (who became a tanky thief due to Dozel blood and Paragon). Jamke!Lester & Lex!Febail were tanky archers who also had 30 Luck.

    Certain bosses like Chapter 10 Julius stumped me during my initial playthrough, but the 2nd time was much easier once I put my Forseti Arthur against Ishtar. Endgame was also a breeze as I didn't have to save-scum one time during the actual map (which doesn't include the Home Castle arena-grinding). I'm surprised Forsetti Arthur managed to annihilate the Earth Sword pegasus sisters in particular, and I'm even more surprised I left Julius with just enough HP (after a Julia nuke) to get the final kill with Seliph. It's very cool how Julius has unique death quotes with both Julia & Seliph.

    Status staves became much less annoying in general since I knew Tyrfing Seliph and Mystletainn Ares had the Res to be immune. Unlike in other games where they're RNG-based and kill a map's pacing (FE6's entire 2nd half, FE8 Chapter 14 Ephraim, etc.), status staves in FE4 only work if the target has less Res than the user's Mag, so I gave the Barrier Rings to Fee & Arthur for them to accompany Seliph & Ares. Speaking of mechanics I learned, arena-grinding for certain units became much easier once I learned how Miracle worked.

    Conclusion

    My feelings had already been growing in the weeks after my 1st playthrough, but now that I've officially beaten it for the 2nd time, I can safely say FE4 is a great game and currently my 3rd-favorite FE game—barely edging out Shadows of Valentia for that #3 spot. I'd still put Path of Radiance & Radiant Dawn above FE4 since those are easily my #1 & #2 FE games, respectively, but Jugdral is the world whose characters and setting I've loved the most outside of Tellius. Personally, I'd give the game a 9/10.

    While Genealogy may have a high barrier to entry for a blind player, but like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, it's an incredibly rewarding game that's very fun to exploit. That's why I'll always recommend people to play FE4 with a non-spoiler guide. With that finally finished, I'll probably take my FE hiatus for real this time. Come 2022, I'll probably play one of FE5, FE12, or Conquest next (still undecided). Anyways, do you all think FE4 is better blind or on a repeat playthrough?

    submitted by /u/Mr96POP
    [link] [comments]

    10 random and obscure Fire Emblem Three Houses facts you (probably) never heard of.

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 11:06 AM PDT

    Game Mechanic: Do you think all units/characters should have their own amount of gold in a future installment? Yes or No?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 04:41 PM PDT

    How much do you use some of the best units/classes in your games (i.e. Seth, Titania, Perceval, Haar, etc.)?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 08:04 AM PDT

    Just a curious question because as is it known, not all units are created equal and some do their job better by starting with a higher stat base total. However, I'm of the opinion using these units makes the game really boring given how easy they are to use, not to mention they tend to be pretty boring character-wise for me (Camilla's especially an offender of this).

    Do you constantly use top-tier units/classes in your games? Do you bench them or restrict usage of them for extra challenge? Both?

    submitted by /u/Wanderer2691
    [link] [comments]

    Just finished my first playthrough of FE6. Wanted to share some thoughts on the game.

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 10:02 AM PDT

    So I just spent way more time than I should have over the past week playing through the Binding Blade for the first time, and had to talk about it.

    For reference, my entry into the series was with Echoes, although my current favorite game is Conquest. As someone who generally preferred the newer entries in the series over the older ones, I wanted to finally go through and play through every game in the series, to A. see if I was missing out on anything, and B. to be able to effectively argue with elitists that Conquest is objectively the greatest game in the series.

    Before FE6, I had just finished my first run through Sacred Stones last month, and FE7 before that. It was a bit daunting to start FE6 though. FE7 and FE8, while decently fun during my first playthroughs, were fairly simple games, and they both lacked a real sense of challenge, even on their harder difficulties.

    I decided to search online for a FE6 save with HM already unlocked, as my experience starting FE7 on Eliwood Normal made me never want to have to unlock a harder difficulty ever again. How hard could it really be right?

    Thoughts on the Early Game

    Immediately starting on the first chapter, I already was taken by surprise. So many units! So many enemies! Why is the map so big? Enemies that can 2-3RKO my cavaliers? Why are my hit rates not in the 90's? Enemies that move without being in range? Already the game was a step up from the other GBA titles in terms of intensity, and it was only Chapter 1! This is one of the things that immediately endeared me to the game. It gives you a wide variety of units at the start, and the enemy quality starts off high so you actually need to use all of them.

    In general, the early chapters of FE6 were the most difficult, which I actually enjoyed. Pretty much no one can 1 round units early outside of Marcus, and even he can lose that ability fairly early on without the Silver Lance. FE6 definitely reminded me of 3H Maddening in the sense that you have 3 guys ganging up to kill one enemy, and you really do basically need to use everyone. However, I think this is the part where the lower hit rates causes the most frustration. When you need to land 3 hits on player phase to kill a unit, committing 3 actions just to miss on the last hit means it can be difficult to salvage your position. This isn't as big of a deal in the late game, where your weapons tend to have higher accuracy, your units have more skill, you have more mounted units to rescue units away, as well the ability to use staves to protect your units. But in the early game, where you don't have any of these resources, it can feel rather coinflippy in regards to whether your units can survive a miss or not. I'd imagine a more experienced player would be able to reduce the variance in these chapters, but as a first time player, I wasn't sure what I could do as a workaround besides hoping it'd work out.

    I think this is most apparent in Chapter 4, where you see the bulkiest cavaliers known to mankind at this point, and relying on Lot or Wade to hit multiple 60% Halberd attacks is playing with fire, especially when they get doubled in return. Chapters 4 and 5 definitely caused the most resets for me throughout the entire game, 4 from missing hits on cavaliers and Rutger ganking you in the middle of the map, and 5 with its terrain and STRs near the boss.

    FE6's STRs

    At this point in my run, I decided to use a guide to look up reinforcement spawns. I've seen a decent amount of people defending the STRs in Binding Blade, usually arguing that they tend to spawn in reasonable locations and that if you play at a faster pace you might not even have to fight them at all. While I do agree that most STRs in FE6 are fairly reasonable assuming you're aware of the spawn triggers, there are several infamous FE6 STRs, and several STRs in different chapters spawn near the boss, usually as you approach them or on turns that you would normally be close to them anyway. I think the sheer frustration of being nearly completed with a chapter then dying to spawns that you were unaware of is a hard feeling to argue against, and with throne bonuses also making faster boss kills less reliable as well, I don't think avoiding STRs is always as easy as "just seize."

    Mid-Game and Gaidens

    Anyway, past Chapter 5, I started having much more success with the game. The ability to prep and swap around items definitely helped, but I also felt that the game became generally more forgiving past the very first chapters. You also start to get promotion items around this time, and having promoted and generally stronger units makes the midgame feel much more smoother. I also really enjoyed the Western Isles chapters, getting a great unit in Shin and having probably my favorite chapter in the game, 11A.

    However, the midgame of Binding Blade also had some of my least favorite maps, which coincidentally, all happened to be Gaiden chapters. No hyperbole, I think all of the Gaiden chapters in Binding Blade are completely and utterly horrible, always having either Fog of War, my least favorite FE mechanic in any game, some stupid gimmick that kills your units out of combat, or in some cases, both. Shout out to 20Bx for being especially awful, especially since I had to seize literally every single point before the map would finally end.

    Simping for Melady

    After Chapter 14 though, even most of the maps I didn't like at least became bearable due to having Warp as well as Melady, who ended up being one of the most insane units I've had in any FE game ever. For comparison, Allen and Rutger were my second and third most used units at 293 and 290 battles respectively. Melady had more than 200 more battles than Allen, at 507!

    Even Sacae, which I saw almost universal derided online, was trivialized by Melady with a Delphi shield and a Javelin. She was literally pulling Robin-level performances on EP, basically single-handedly exterminating the Djute clan in 18B and 19B. Even in the late game chapters like 21 and 23, where they're throwing tons and tons of Wyvern Lords and Wyvern Riders, I would simply throw Melady at them with a Javelin, occasionally healing her with a Physic if necessary. Most of the time, her weapons would break before her HP did, and most of my Rescue staff usage went to rescuing Melady, giving her some weapons, and warping her back into the moshpit of enemies.

    Really, Melady's only weakness in the late game was being statused, which admittedly are fairly prevalent in several of the later maps. However, for most chapters, it was easy enough to play around due to the ability to abuse the targeting of enemy AI and widely available restore. Realistically, status was only a problem in Chapter 23, due to the ballistae positions being in range of the Berserk Staff.

    The last two chapters were fairly unremarkable. 24 was a hallway simulator, more interesting for its lore than its gameplay. 25 was probably the least difficult final boss in the series, but at least it was thematically fitting.

    What I Liked

    Overall, I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed Binding Blade. The bigger maps made me actually use rescue regularly, both for movement and defensively. Roy also being terrible was also something that I strangely ended up liking a lot. Having to ferry Roy to the throne was always something to consider, both in terms of rescuing or warping, and it always added some tension in trying to make sure he wasn't in danger but still in range to end the map immediately after a boss-kill. The higher enemy quality and their deadlier weapons made most generics actually threatening, at least to units not named Melady and Perceval. The game managed to keep a fairly consistent level of challenge, although admittedly it did get progressively easier closer to the endgame.

    Outside of pure gameplay, I enjoyed traveling the world of Elibe. Each part of the continent looks and feels different, and it does seem like Roy and his crew are actually traveling to different locations and building a diverse army, which is somewhat neatly integrated into the unlocking requirements for the Gaiden chapters and receiving the legendary weapons for each region.

    Story-wise, while I don't really enjoy most FE stories, largely due to how they tend to be told, I did enjoy learning more about Zephiel, as well as the lore behind Idunn and the dragons. It's nothing spectacular, but I think it does a good job of establishing the world that FE7 later builds upon.

    Things I Didn't Enjoy

    Any criticisms I have about the game are fairly minor. I think some enemies, particularly bosses, have annoying, non-zero critical rates. this can be frustrating, especially in the early game where none of your units can actually survive a critical.

    Despite enjoying most of the maps in the game, there are some truly awful chapters in the Binding Blade that remind me of the worst maps in Revelations. 20Bx in particular is probably my new least favorite map in the series, but some of the other Gaiden chapters will also definitely be in my bottom 10.

    Conversely, I think the late game maps are a little too easy to break with juggernauting and defensive play. Breaking siege tomes and using up status staves are easy to do and is never punished, with how plentiful restore is and how easy it is to manipulate enemy AI. Turn limits for Gaidens as well as most late-game turn triggers for reinforcements tend to be really generous, so as someone who doesn't play LTC, there were never that many incentives to play faster in the later maps.

    I think in general, the game is not particularly friendly to a blind playthrough. STRs are always going to seem unfair to an unknowing player, but things like character specific recruitment and needing specific units alive to unlock Gaiden chapters can also be very obtuse.

    Overall

    These nitpicks are ultimately fairly minor though, and If I had to give an overall rating for the game, I would probably give it a solid 8.5-9/10. It's probably my new third favorite game in the series, after Conquest and 3H. I don't think Binding Blade quite has as much replay value, but I'd definitely be interested in playing it again someday trying to utilize less optimal units.

    TL:DR: Binding Blade was a lot of fun, mostly fair, and provided a fairly consistent level of challenge throughout the entire game.

    STRs are mostly manageable, assuming you're not playing blind.

    Most maps are pretty fun, although the Gaiden chapters in particular are complete ass. Late-game maps break similarly to most other FE games, by juggernauting and playing slowly.

    Miledy is my new queen.

    Conquest is still the best FE game of all time.

    Discuss.

    submitted by /u/KCYU
    [link] [comments]

    Older protagonist?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 11:29 AM PDT

    While I certainly enjoy the whole "young warrior" trope in FE games, I'd like a breath of fresh air. Now I'm pretty sure that the earlier games have older protagonists (could be wrong) and I know that one can play as an older Robin in Awakening but I'd definitely like to see a protagonist that is already at least 30s preferably 40s maybe even 50s. 1) this already breaks many tropes 2) opens up possible story of parenting older children 3) opens up really intriguing story of aging in a complex world 4) maybe the protagonist already has a family and the player gets to choose how to interact with the children and spouse in the FE support system

    Idk, just some thoughts of how to break the tropes a bit… Again, there may be many instances of this in the earlier games that I am not aware of.

    submitted by /u/Ice_Viking_117
    [link] [comments]

    [Commentated] FE8 0% Growths Chapter 9B in 8 Turns

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 05:20 PM PDT

    How do heal staves work?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 12:34 PM PDT

    I've always wondered what it's like to get healed by one. When a healer uses their magic on you does it…

    • Close your wounds?

    • Can it regrow organs?

    • How far gone do you have to be for them to not work? On the brink of death?

    It seems that whenever important characters are about to die in cutscenes, no one makes an attempt to heal them. What exactly are the limits of heal staves?

    My assumption is that it can close holes made in organs to stop internal and external bleeding, but it seems more advanced in some aspects.

    Also, there are staffs that can bring back the dead, like the aum staff. I wonder how these staves have affected medicine in the world of FE?

    submitted by /u/Logans_Login
    [link] [comments]

    Let's create original FE characters, collaboratively!

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 05:59 PM PDT

    Person A comes up with the name, title (the kind they get in the epilogue/credits), and gender.

    Person B, add their class, whether they are promoted or not, what they promote to, and a basic personality.

    Person C adds their (rough) bases, growths and backstory.

    Finally, Person D gives their skills, what their supports focus on, and any interesting extra notes (like a special event they have, a PRF weapon they start with or can get later, or people they can recruit, etc.).

    Please, do not rip off existing Fire Emblem characters, or characters from already existing franchises.

    No memey, full-joke characters.

    submitted by /u/GatorDragon
    [link] [comments]

    If 3 houses characters were sounds (spoiler free)

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 04:37 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment