• Breaking News

    Saturday, October 2, 2021

    Fire Emblem Everyone Plays Fire Emblem - Week of October 1st, 2021

    Fire Emblem Everyone Plays Fire Emblem - Week of October 1st, 2021


    Everyone Plays Fire Emblem - Week of October 1st, 2021

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 08:23 PM PDT

    Now that the Nintendo Direct is out of the way, welcome to the next installment of EPFE! This is a casual space for discussing any ongoing Fire Emblem (or related games) playthroughs. Screenshots, impressions, frustrations... gameplay stuff that would otherwise be removed as a standalone post under Rule 8 can be shared here.

    While you can of course ask for advice here, specific questions might get faster responses in the General Question Thread here

    As always, remember to tag your spoilers, and have fun!

    The previous thread can be found here

    Joe Zieja's AMA thread from a few weeks ago can be found here. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out now! He voiced Claude in Three Houses, as well as Canas (from the Blazing Sword) and Jamke (from Genealogy of the Holy War) in Fire Emblem Heroes!

    submitted by /u/Cecilyn
    [link] [comments]

    Fire emblem collection!

    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 09:19 AM PDT

    Corrin and Felicia (Commission by harunn2288)

    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 12:50 PM PDT

    Ares/Seliph

    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 04:48 PM PDT

    My Best Girl Fanart (OC)

    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 09:45 AM PDT

    [OC//3DComic] How Byleth and Shamir's Ending SHOULD have gone:

    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 09:54 AM PDT

    Inktober Hilda: These shades do be gucci

    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 09:57 AM PDT

    Byleth outfit swap with Mika from Seraph of the End

    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 12:34 PM PDT

    Chibi Elincia I drew, in her floofy princess dress.

    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 09:05 AM PDT

    Day 2 of drawing Tharja each day for Inktober

    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 01:29 PM PDT

    Who is your favorite Fire Emblem character "design wise"?

    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 09:13 AM PDT

    It can be for any reason why it's your favorite.

    Mine personally goes towards Legault from FE7 because it fits his personality and he just looks cool.

    submitted by /u/Mememasterlordlol
    [link] [comments]

    This might get unpleasant...

    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 06:12 PM PDT

    Teatime with Grandma Robin (Lucina!Soleil, Morgan!Caeldori) (commissioned by @middletiddle_art)

    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 01:33 PM PDT

    a SPOOOOOOOOKY ignatz sketch! for spooky month!!

    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 05:56 PM PDT

    Quan, Ethlyn, Altena and Leif finally together for the 3rd day of Inktober

    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 05:58 PM PDT

    [OC] tiny Lysithea (๑꒪▿꒪)*

    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 11:17 AM PDT

    So, I just beat Fire Emblem: Awakening. Here's how I think it stacks up against Three Houses.

    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 01:13 PM PDT

    I beat Fire Emblem: Three Houses for the first time a few months ago (Blue Lions route, in case you were curious). It was my first Fire Emblem game ever, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I jumped in to try another route soon after (Golden Deer), and loved it just as much. However, my Fire Emblem itch wasn't satisfied yet. I wanted to try out some other games in the series, and I thought Awakening was a good place to go next. After all, it was the game that successfully pulled Fire Emblem out of obscurity and more into the mainstream (and it's one of the cheaper ones I could find), so I decided to pick it up and give it a go. Well, I just beat it, and now I'm going to compare it to Three Houses, since it's the only reference point I have to go off of, and see what it does better and worse (long post incoming; if you don't care about all of my thoughts and ramblings, just skip to the end. I'll give my overall opinion there).

    What Three Houses does better:

    Soundtrack: This was the first and biggest difference I noticed between the two games. Three Houses has one of the best game OST's I've ever heard. Each song is wonderfully composed to perfectly match the situation / context that it's in. I could listen to the entire thing on loop and still not get sick of it. I knew that Awakening would never be able to live up to the quality of Three Houses' soundtrack, but I was expecting just a little bit more. The OST's not bad, it's just kind of generic sounding to me. There are very few songs in the game that stand out to me, and the only one I think is really good is the final boss theme. I feel like a better soundtrack would've made a lot of the story and gameplay moments much more impactful.

    The Class System: In Three Houses, the possibilities for your units are near endless. You want Bernadetta to become a Great Knight? Go for it! You want Hanneman to become a war master? Sure! Why not? That amount of flexibility is so liberating, allowing the creation of a playthrough that's truly unique to you. However, in Awakening, characters only have so many options for what they become, and some characters can't even change class at all. The types of weapons / magic your units can wield is almost predetermined, which is a letdown for me because one of my favorite parts of Three Houses was training up units to become what I wanted them to be. This especially becomes a problem with healers. Units like Lissa and Maribelle are near impossible to use early-game because they have no way of defending themselves, making them roadkill if they're ever caught during enemy phase, and they can only level up from healing other units, which doesn't give you much exp.

    Story and Characters: Awakening's story isn't bad by any means. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. However, it lacks the punch that Three Houses' story had (at least in the routes I've played). I feel this has to do, in large part, with the characters. In Awakening, a lot of the characters except for your main players like Robin, Chrom, and Lucina are pretty bland and generic. For example, nobody notices Kellam. Haha, funny right? Well, I hope you like that joke, because it's all he ever talks about. You also have a lot of overdone tropes in there as well, like the woman who everyone thinks is a man, the man who everyone thinks is a woman, and the girl who looks like she's 9, but is actually thousands of years old. Now, that's not to say Three Houses doesn't also have this problem to some extent, but the main difference is that I feel like it tries it's best to subvert the tropes, for the most part, rather than just follow them blindly. For example, Sylvain. When you first see him, you think he's going to be the typical anime flirt, but once you start to watch his supports and learn more about him as a character, you realize that there's a lot more nuisance to him than at first glance. However, I never got that from most of the characters in Awakening. Granted, maybe that's just because I didn't develop the right support chains, but something tells me that's not the case.

    What Awakening does better:

    Pair Up: Broken as it may be, I love using Pair Up in this game. It's just so satisfying to find the best pairings for each character, use it to move units across the map, and turn them into unstoppable war machines. Three Houses has adjutants, which just feels like a watered down version of this mechanic. You can't change your strategy on the fly, you can't switch the active character, and the effects, like attacking and guarding, barely ever happen for me. I feel like they could've found a way to make Pair Up less broken, while still keeping what made it so fun to use.

    Robin: I think Robin is a lot better than Byleth for a few reasons. First of all, they actually have dialogue outside of text choices and a personality. Robin is smart, caring, and even a little playful at times. Byleth has hints of this, but it's ultimately not able to shine due to the lack of characterization in dialogue and supports. Byleth is mostly just a brick wall that's there to solve everyone's problems with a blank stare and without saying a peep. However, with Robin, their personality is able to shine through because they actually have dialogue in supports and story cutscenes, and when something's happening with them, we care because we know the character. Second, Robin has a stake in the plot for the entirety of the game, but I feel that Byleth loses most of their importance post-timeskip, instead having the respective house leaders take the role of protagonist. Everyone always talks about how important Byleth is to them and their victory, but I feel like we rarely get to actually see that. Lastly, and this is more superficial, the customization options for Robin are a lot more in depth. With Byleth, it's male or female; take your pick. However, with Robin, you can customize their hair style and color, voice, and even the stats they have a strength and weakness in. This makes the character feel more like your own than Byleth ever does.

    The Monastery (or lack thereof): Now, don't get me wrong, I do like the monastery to some extent, and I think it adds to the gameplay of Three Houses in many ways. However, post-timeskip, and especially on subsequent playthroughs, the monastery started to feel more like a chore than something I wanted to do. Combine this with instruction, supports, certifications, and other weekend activities, and it starts to feel like your spending more time preparing for the battles than you do actually battling. Awakening trims down the fat (or I guess Three Houses put on weight, since Awakening came first? idk) and keeps the battles coming with little interruption other than the story. Sure, you lose out on the world-building and extra mechanics that the monastery provides, but it ultimately gives you more of what you came for, being the actual battles.

    Final Thoughts:

    Of course, there are more things I could talk about here, like how magic works, voice acting, and the weapon triangle, but this post is already long enough and anything I could talk about further would just be nitpicks. Overall, I think Three Houses is the better game, but I still enjoyed a lot of what Awakening had to offer. The two are more different than I expected, but that's okay. I think they're both worthwhile experiences that anybody who's a fan of tactical rpg's or Nintendo should play. I am eager to spiral further down the Fire Emblem rabbit hole.

    submitted by /u/Marilleep
    [link] [comments]

    Spooky Emblem Day #1: Who is your Favorite Dark Mage?

    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 04:41 PM PDT

    I love halloween. I love Fire Emblem. I'm sure a lot of others here can relate to this. So, in honor of the spooky season, I'm going to be asking a question about the darker sides of Fire Emblem everyday for the month of October! I am guilty of asking a very generic question on the first day, but I promise they will get more creative as time goes on. Who is your favorite dark mage in fire emblem?

    submitted by /u/NadiaNeels
    [link] [comments]

    Fodlan is TINY

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 10:00 PM PDT

    The way characters travel back and forth to missions, seemingly on the last day of the month for the mission, has been brought up before. A counterpoint that's sometimes brought up is that maybe we're actually traveling to the battle in the days leading up to the mission, and the game just doesn't show it. This doesn't line up with several cutscenes and doesn't work for some months. This also doesn't explain how you can travel all around for paralogues and skirmishes so quick, although to be honest I'm mostly willing to overlook those as gameplay/story segregation.

    But there's one exception to that lenience, and that's Shamir and Alois's paralogue, Sword and Shield of Seiros. I know I'm late on this, but I don't remember if anyone's ever pointed out this line from Shamir:

    "Thanks for your help. This can't be how you were expecting your day to go."

    Again, so long as it's not brought up I'm willing to just accept that we can somehow get to paralogue locations quickly. But it just occurred to me that Shamir is confirming here, in writing, that it really only took a day to get from Garreg Mach, to Derdriu, and then back to Garreg Mach again.

    And I mean, there's stuff like warp magic in the game that could explain this, maybe even pegasi or wyverns used as transports. But unless we have any actual concrete measurements that say like "This river is x miles/kilometers long" or something, I think the easiest explanation is that Fodlan truly is smol.

    Again, I'm not the first to bring this up, I'm probably not even the first to bring up this specific line, but I couldn't find it anywhere, and it wouldn't be the first time this sub's seen a repeat discussion.

    submitted by /u/IAmBLD
    [link] [comments]

    My Fire Emblem games collection. I am not hardcore fan of the serie, but I really like FE limited editions.

    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 01:29 AM PDT

    So not only does the game gives me this pretty hot and pretty novel character, it also gives me this easy way out on grinding her!! This is the best game ever!!!

    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 04:08 PM PDT

    "This is ridiculous! FE12 keeps throwing more and more playable characters at me, for no reason at all! I hate it! Worst game ever!!" That.. is something I would NEVER say! But.. I especially would not say it right now, as.. OH MALICE IS SO COOL LOOKING!! "DS FE games have awful art" IDK ABOUT THAT!

    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 03:00 PM PDT

    Leo doodle by me

    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 10:03 PM PDT

    How do you decide your birthday?

    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 06:23 PM PDT

    I'm starting a new playthrough of 3 Houses and during character creation it asked for my birthday. I was curious how others decide this in games that ask for it.

    I generally just put in my real birthday but I guess some might put in for a different date more likely to appear in the playthrough. Or maybe you have some other reason. Any way I'm just a bit curious

    submitted by /u/BecauseImBatmanFilms
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment