• Breaking News

    Friday, September 24, 2021

    Fire Emblem (OC) Hapi Friday, everyone ~

    Fire Emblem (OC) Hapi Friday, everyone ~


    (OC) Hapi Friday, everyone ~

    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 10:00 AM PDT

    Figure Skating Lianna - Commission Drawn by @harunn2288 on Twitter

    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 11:41 AM PDT

    This "fake-fan" has a bone to pick with you real-fans. It's time we talk about Shadows of Valentia.

    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 01:03 PM PDT

    Alright, not quite a bone to pick, but I'm casting MAJOR shade. And I use the term "fake-fan" very tongue-and-cheekly, as I was definitely introduced to Fire Emblem through Three Houses and fell in love with the dating-sim aspect of the game and consider Three Houses my favorite game, which I think would get me branded as a fake fan by some, lol. I have now also played Awakening and Fates, and although I ADORED Awakening, it felt like just as much of a dating sim as Three Houses, only this time with eugenics (don't @ me, you know it's true). But, as my boyfriend and my friend group are all OG players of all the old titles, I wanted to play some other titles to get a feel for what a more true to form Fire Emblem game is like. I heard on a couple of forums that a good in between of modern installations but with an old-Fire-Emblem-Feel would be Shadows of Valentia. And here's the thing. Although I'm not finished with the game, I've played enough that I feel I'm qualified to say the following: Why is Shadows of Valentia so overlooked?? Why don't I see hoardes and hoards of Faye, Genny, and Fernand fanart?? The soundtrack slaps, the story rocks (yes I know it's a remake but for simplicity's sake I'm acting like it's an original title). The mechanics are interesting-- I really enjoy that weapons no longer have durability, and the fact that magic isn't something you buy with gold, but your own HP. Its considerably more challenging than Three Houses/Awakening, making me think that it would be a hit with older fans of the franchise who feel they've been forgotten with the more dating-simmy-titles. And can I just say how refreshing it is to not be overly concerned with S-Ranks and supports? The supports happen entirely in-battle and are albeit short, but by no means inconsiderable. For once, my focus is solely on the gameplay and the plot unfolding in front of me, rather than who is marrying who. The characters are remarkably charming, and I'm invested in them fully WITHOUT the need to shack them up with my favorite waifu and force them to bare children. So, consider this a callout. Y'all are overlooking a hidden gem. Do better, fans. Do better.

    submitted by /u/OpeningPeace
    [link] [comments]

    some little mixed-media art projects I did feat. Takumi and Inigo

    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 06:29 PM PDT

    If you could ask the original Fire Emblem creator Shouzou Kaga a question, what would it be?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 02:13 PM PDT

    By: Chriiis.

    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 09:00 PM PDT

    What if Lyn was in Fire Emblem 6? An experiment.

    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 11:31 AM PDT

    Three Houses things that I don't want in the next fire emblems.

    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 07:38 AM PDT

    Nothing in this world is perfect, I think we can agree with that. However, that is no reason for the criticism to cease to be valid. What I mean by this is that three houses is, in fact, a good game, but it weighs down some things that I really don't like and that either change a lot or I don't want them to be in the series again. Some things I'm going to say are trivial details, little things that don't make the game worse, but that squeak me a bit. But there are also the details that fail me to a great extent and that must be modified. At least from my point of view. With that said, let's get started. Although, I clarify, I am not going from the least important to the most important, just as the ideas occur to me.

    To begin with the obvious, the balance of the game is broken and that imbalance breaks with some themes of the game. At this point the Wyvern Lords is already a meme, but it's true. As an anecdote I will say that my first route was Crimson flower. I was having a good time, I was enjoying myself, but in Chapter 7 Edelgard fell so far behind all and she saw no combat on the entire map; so I said to myself: "Ok, we have to give it movement." I always liked pegasus so I started training her for that, but she had axe skills so she unlocked the Wyvern quickly. Unknowingly, I had just broke the game. And of course when it was time to make "the choice", I was not going to abandon the unit that I had trained for so long for Rhea, a character whose first appearance was through a Low-angle shot and the first thing he told me was " don't trust her ". The game doesn't make much of an effort for you to appreciate the "lords" if you choose Black Eagles. But that is another subject.

    Not that it has greater value than the anecdote. But it involves a detail, which I had to learn the hard way, despite the fact that the game was made easier. The freedom of classes breaks with the difficulty of the game and makes it impossible for the designers to create interesting maps, since there is no real way to know the possible combinations of units that the player will have. What hurts the difficulty, because the only way to increase the difficulty when you cannot predict anything is to inflate statistics like a gorilla. In addition, that same freedom destroys the characters. Because I can have Wyvern Lord Felix with an axe, but he will continue to use a sword in his supports, even though he has more skill with an axe than with a sword. Or have a Mercedes tank, or any ridiculous combination. And of course, that is why the game does not have a weapon triangle, because everything has to count if everything is possible, which is related, again, with the difficulty of the maps.

    Another detail, much less influential than the previous one and that will probably not change in future games, is the sensation of size. The maps in Three houses feel small, not because they are, but because they feel that way. And the fault of this sensation, in my way of seeing, is due to the fact that the character is in 3d in the tiles. In all games the character occupies the entire square, I am not saying anything new. But the fact that he occupies a complete square is not a reality, it is an abstraction. The physical reality of the character is much smaller, but the character in 3d eliminates that abstraction. If I see Lyn, Roy, Sigurd, or Chrom occupying their space on the map, I can understand this abstraction by the fact that when they enter combat their model has much more definition and spatial expression. That's doesn't happen in Three houses. And that makes the map feel smaller, but also, strangely, makes the sense of movement less. It's complicated, and I don't think they will change it in future games in the series, but I had to say it.

    There is also the detail of many aspects of the game's presentation. That is something that will surely be improved in future games. And it is that the animations in combat, the way in which the characters move in the supports and non-animated cinematics, the way in which the characters enter the scene; Everything is very artificial, like the appearance of the Flame Emperor on all the routes that are not azure moon. Other games in the saga, and by this I mean all the others, did not have that problem due to the fact that they abstracted what was happening in the story, and even when they did not, as in 3ds, the presentation did not feel so artificial, an aspect in which the Echoes did not fail at any point, despite the fact that, as a game, I enjoy it less than three houses. And of course, these flaws stand out because the game has very good aesthetic ideas. As I say, they will correct it in future games. And more if a remake is made, Belhalla cannot be done like three houses was made.

    And now comes another problem, much more important: Byleth. He/she is the worst avatar the saga has ever had, and by far. There are several reasons why I think that and I probably can't convey them all. There is, to begin with, to take into account what an avatar really is and Byleth is not. In many games with true avatars, as in visual novels, the character is presented with a decision and several options; you, as a player, make a decision and the story continues around that decision. Detail is that this decision marks what the personality of that avatar is like. Later another decision is presented again and thus continuously, the decisions accumulate and the end is given around that accumulation of decisions. In other games, like Fallout or Dark Souls, reality is changed by the way you interact with the world and, when you finish the story, thanks to those interactions, everything is different than it could be with other decisions. Byleth does not have any of that, because no decision of the character has weight in what happens. The game gives you an important decision in the whole game, two if you choose Crimson Flower, and from there the player has no real ability to modify absolutely anything; the story will be exactly the same and the end of each route will be the same, regardless of the player's actions. It can be said that not recruiting a student modifies the story, but it is not really like that, since the game does not show you the result of killing a character. So in terms of plot, there is not that much difference between Dimitri killing Ferdinand and Roy killing Rutger. Also, the characters you recruit don't appear on the scene if you're not in their original home, so they don't really matter. That complete inability of the player to modify anything that happens in the story is what makes Byleth not an avatar.

    That said, I'm sure there will be someone who will say. "Well, I'll accept that what you say is true, but what you said about Byleth can be said, word by word, with Robin and Corrin." And it's true, I'm not going to defend an indefensible hill. Robin and Corrin are not avatars either, but there are differences. While Robin is not an Avatar, he is a character. The same can be said for Corrin (The quality of the character is already debatable, but it is not something I will deal with). Byleth on the other hand is not a character. There is no personality in anything Byleth does. His only personality trait is that he is sad when his father is killed (which would seem quite universal to me, honestly), in that month there is all his will. The rest of the story Byleth follows the ideas of another and as you have no ability to modify anything that happens, it is as if the "avatar" was an automaton that follows orders. Even Byleth's paralogue is produced by Sothis and not by byleth. It also doesn't help that in the only moments where he makes a decision of his own free will he falls for a trap like an idiot. The only circumstance where this does not happen is if you choose crimson flower, because you have to do your part to access that route, which does not happen with the other three. But still, once you choose Edelgard, Byleth reverts to a passive state. And this is aggravated by the fact that he does not have dialogues beyond a few choices where the avatar says phrases of three or four words that do not modify anything that happens, regardless of whether we are talking about the story or the supports. While Robin and Corrin make decisions; in their supports they respond when they are spoken to and how you can choose their appearance and their voice they have a personality detail that you have chosen.

    And it is a point of importance, because there is more personality in the choice of Corrin than in the choice of byleth. Choosing between Hoshido and Nohr involves making a decision based on knowledge and family relationships (the quality of the plot in Fates is another separate issue, which I am not discussing). Choosing a house in Three Houses does not imply any of that, since you lack any knowledge of the world in which the story takes place and its habitants. If the choice of a house were given without byleth there would be no difference as to what we know about each country. And that non-character of byleth also affects the characters of the game. Sylvain's arc may be about how the crests ruined his life, but he still marries the archbishop who has the most important and powerful crest. Dimtri's arc deals with how the customs of a country can destroy a person, isolating him and corrupting him to madness in a spiral of self-destruction, but still having the possibility of redemption; But Byleth destroys part of that message. The whole scene in the rain where Dimitri finds himself, having caused his own misfortune, is degraded by the fact that the kindness of allowing him to reflect is being given to him by a wall. The scene could have been a lot better with Ingrid, with Mariane, with Felix or whoever. Each version dealing with a slightly different topic, but with the same message. The same goes for Edelgard, it doesn't make sense that what prevents her from being corrupted is an empty shell. With Robin and Corrin, we can say that it makes sense that they have influence on the characters, after all, they are characters with an editable aspect, with Byleth we cannot say that, because the game has many situations where his character is completely replaceable. And since that adoration of the avatar is also added, present in other games (I am not going to cover the sun with a finger), it is strange that the characters adore something that has no personality or will. And that's the reason why, now that there are full voices, the best thing that could be done is not to place an avatar.

    The next thing I wanted to talk about is the monastery. I like the idea behind the monastery , but it is poorly implemented and not because, as many people have pointed out, it can become repetitive, but because the monastery disassociates itself from many of the ideas of the game. When you carry out the mission of Lord Lonato we are clearly told, "Fodlan is a huge continent, there is no way you can manage its territory without delegating certain areas of influence to trained people." Okay, it makes sense, in real life it also happens, you can't control the entire US territory from the capital. That size is what allows Lonato to rebel and for "rats" to corrode the entire system and weaken nations. The fact that what controls the church in the Empire is a ministry is what allowed Edelgard to be experimented on and what allowed Edelgard herself to do what she did. Thematically, the game makes no mistakes in that regard. But when you are in the game, and not in the story, you can travel the entire continent in one day; make three paralogues, with maps located in three completely separate parts of the continent, return after each one to the monastery for a snack and go to the next one. The main missions are all done at the end of the month, and after each mission you return to the monastery. And sure, that playful part breaks the narrative, because if you can travel the entire continent in one day, why can't Rhea control fodlan territory if she can go anywhere she pleases? The answer is because she can't, because what you have to believe is the narrative of the game; Fodlan in so great that there is no way to govern it in a centralist system. But you still have the ability to travel the entire continent on a Sunday and give students time to rest and attend their classes on Monday without a problem. Thanks to the whole calendar system, Three houses is the only game where you have that feeling. The gameplay compresses the Fodlan map to minuscule and the repeating maps don't help with that. It is Ludonarrative dissonance.

    And I guess that's what he meant. I honestly think people might think I hate the game, but nothing could be further from the truth. If I have noticed what I have said it is because I have played the game long enough to realize it. Is the game good? It is. Is the game entertaining? It is. The game have fails? It has. Well, with this I finished

    submitted by /u/jatxna
    [link] [comments]

    So I'm going through Mystery of the Emblem for the first time, and just wanted to ask if it was normal for Palla to be almost level capped by the end of chapter 5!! CHAPTER 5!!! But either way, PALLA BEST!!! H-heh.. I guess you could say.. "Big sister get it done.."

    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 07:37 AM PDT

    The most bang for your boot

    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 05:46 PM PDT

    When I get the boots on any FE game, I always give them to my dancer. It allows her to reach more people (creating more opportunties for cool dance strats) and keep up with the faster units. However, I've seen many players recommend giving the boots to a flier. I always thought there wasn't much point to it because fliers have such high move to begin with - surely 2 more wouldn't make a difference, right? But sometimes people know something you don't and you can learn from them. I grabbed some grid paper and counted the tiles for up to 10 movement, and listed the area of attack of the unit in each movement case. The results were interesting.

    The area grows faster than linearly. It appears to follow the function y = 2x^2 + 6x +4. From this it seems obvious that the more move you have to begin with, the better an additional point is. I decided to test it out with some examples.

    Consider a unit with 8 move. He has an area of attack of 180 tiles. If he uses the boots, his move increases to 10 and his area of attack becomes 264. That's 84 additional tiles, and an area increase of 46%. Now consider a unit with 5 move. Her area of attack is 84 tiles. If she uses the boots, the move increases to 7 and the area of attack becomes 144. That's 60 additional tiles, and an area increase of 71%.

    Seems a bit odd to me. He gets more additional tiles, but a lower area increase. Meanwhile she gets less additional tiles, but a higher area increase. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Gosicrystal
    [link] [comments]

    Thracia 776: If characters had support conversations, What are your ideas?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 03:16 PM PDT

    Glade: Thracia 776

    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 03:53 PM PDT

    [Spoilers] Birthright Chapter 26: Analysis and Misconceptions

    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 07:59 PM PDT

    Chapter 26 of the Birthright route of Fire Emblem Fates is perhaps one of the most interesting to me in the entire series, and I thought it would be worthwhile making a post concerning what I feel are often overlooked aspects of it. I've already talked about this chapter a bit before in a previous piece on Corrin that can be found here, but I thought it would be worthwhile to have a separate piece that explores this chapter a bit more. A heads up that this piece naturally includes FULL SPOILERS for the Birthright route of Fates. Spoiler flagging would involve marking essentially the entire post, so my hope is both the warning in the title, the flair, and here will be enough to make it clear that this is not something to read if you don't want to be spoiled.

    In spite of that, it's no secret to me that the chapter is a contentious one in the fandom. I've seen numerous readings of the chapter that merely dismiss it as falling into reliance on the Camus archetype rather than being willing to tread new ground and explore new dynamics with that style of character. I'd argue it very much so does just that already, in a way that has pretty substantial ramifications for the characters and their beliefs. While I think the early segments of this chapter still have interesting aspects worth discussing, I'm going to primarily be talking about what occurs after Elise's death scene and what it means for the characters, as I find this is often the most contentious point of the chapter. Even among discourse in the sub about this chapter that seems to have more positive readings of Birthright Chapter 26, I still have consistently run into a few different interpretations:

    1: Xander went into his final battle with Corrin fully expecting to die.2: Xander deliberately allows Corrin to kill him to teach them a sort of moral lesson.3: Xander's willingness to continue to fight Corrin after Elise's death is merely the result of him being brokenhearted after Elise's death, and not able to think the situation through clearly.

    I feel all three of these readings, even when trying to positively discuss the chapter, ultimately are contradicted by the script itself. I believe the text has, however, some more profound implications for the characters that these interpretations diminish. First off, it's worth getting a bit of context out of the way. Corrin's final battle with Xander is a major plot point the narrative has built up as a trial for them to overcome. Xander himself made his intent to stop Corrin no matter what clear since Chapter 12, where his parting words to them were this:

    Xander: That's right. Run away while you can. I will always find you, little prince/princess. It is your destiny to face me…

    Corrin seems to take this quite to heart, in the very next scene addressing the matter.

    Corrin: Yes. For now. But we're eventually going to have to settle things once and for all with Xander. I've got a lot of work to do before I'll be his equal in battle.

    From here, Corrin realizes that they most certainly will have to fight, and likely kill Xander if they wish to end the war, and tries to prepare for that battle both mentally and physically. Their journey to visit the Rainbow Sage is one prompted by Leo's warnings that Xander is far too strong for Corrin to defeat in their current state, a warning echoed at the end of Chapter 25. In their exchanges with Elise, they have already accepted they may very well have to strike Xander down if he stands in their way, and Elise chooses to join them explicitly to try and convince him, even if Corrin believes he's unlikely to compromise. In other words, their battle with Xander is in many ways something Corrin believes they were physically and emotionally prepared for. Of course, nothing goes remotely as they had anticipated. Not only were they too weak to defeat Xander at his full strength, but Elise died seemingly in vain trying to prevent their conflict, a line of thinking that leaves Corrin emotionally broken after the battle.

    Xander: You've done well, Corrin...Corrin: N-no... I'm still so weak. I'm still no match for you... Why did you let me win, Xander? TELL ME! WHY?!Xander: ...Corrin: Answer me! I fought so hard to be stronger... But it's still not enough! You still... *sob* Ended up protecting me in the end... It's just like when we always trained together... It's just like... *sob*

    I mentioned earlier that I don't believe Xander threw the fight to teach Corrin a lesson, but that's absolutely what Corrin believes has happened here. Their preparation was meaningless. They were only saved because, in their eyes, Xander saw their victory as more valuable then their own, and are left utterly baffled by his choice. However, and I cannot stretch this enough, the following dialogue expresses the idea that Corrin is, and I cannot stress this enough, completely wrong in how they interpret Xander's actions, as he then explains.

    Xander: I'm here, Corrin. I...I'm sorry...I let you slip away from me. As crown prince... I didn't have the option of picking sides like you or Leo or the rest. So, I really did intend to kill you for the good of Nohr. But in the end... I did what I always told you not to do. I let my feelings overrule my duty. In the end, it was my undoing. Is that...is that justice?

    Xander never meant to throw the fight, he never went into it wanting to die. Even after Elise's death, he fully intended and attempted to kill Corrin as the fight continued. The reason he lost is simple. He hesitated. As much as he tried to block out Elise's dying wish and continue the fight, he was unable to bring himself to do so. So, Corrin and Xander both believe themselves to have completely failed themselves utterly, does this leave Xander's death as just the ultimate, meaningless failure of both characters?

    Of course it doesn't. While Corrin may see themselves as a completely failing, Xander sees the exact opposite of them, that they have succeeded beyond his expectations. To understand why, it's crucial to look at some of the earlier interactions between the characters. In Chapter 1, Xander explains to Corrin that they are unable to defeat them, even in a practice battle, because of their hesitation.

    Xander: You swing timidly, without resolve. You must genuinely try to kill me.

    Beyond that, in Chapter 2, Xander scolds Corrin for their decision to save the Hoshidan prisoners as soft and reckless.

    Xander: Mark my words, Corrin… One day, an act of kindness may be the death of you.Corrin: Perhaps, but if I'm kind. I will die without regrets.Xander: …Well said.

    While Xander admires Corrin's conviction in their views, he nonetheless expresses fear that Corrin's failure to follow Garon's orders, what he sees as their duty, as the path to their ruin. This chapters (along with many others) also display that Xander simply doesn't believe that turning against Garon, even if his actions are justified, are a legitimate course of action for him. That brings us back to Chapter 26. Xander believes in this moment that he himself is a hypocrite. He betrayed what he always taught Corrin by allowing his emotions to sway him from his conviction. However, he doesn't die without hope, because of what he sees in Corrin, as displayed in his defeat quote in battle.

    Xander: I knew you could do it. I'm proud of you, Corrin. I always told you...you could do anything...you set your mind to...Corrin: Brother!!Xander: Your technique was flawless... You finally stopped holding yourself back. It's what I've always tried to teach you. You're becoming the leader I always knew you could be...Corrin: Xander...

    Elise's words may have stifled Xander's convictions when the time came to fight, but the same cannot be said of Corrin. Even if it hurt them tremendously to betray Elise's last wish and continue to fight Xander, fueled partial by their remaining resolve, partially by what they see as Xander's desecration of Elise's last wishes, they continue to fight at their full strength.

    Xander: Don't make me say it again. Draw your sword, Corrin.

    Corrin: ...

    Xander: NOW.

    Corrin: Brother... ... Fine. As you wish. I guess...you're not the brother I remember, Xander. Elise...I'm so sorry I couldn't save you. And it doesn't look like I'll be able to make your last wish come true, either. But I can still end this war. I can still bring peace to our kingdoms. Xander. You taught me to be brave. You taught me how to wield power. The time has come for me to show you what I've learned. If you have any last words, now's the time!

    In this act, to Xander, Corrin has displayed that they've grown to become a better adherant to his own philosophy than he ever was. When it mattered most, he hesitated to strike down somebody close to him, even when he saw it as necessarily to fulfill his ideals. Corrin did not. Their ideals may have been at odds with his, but he has faith that, seeing that they've taken what he's tried to teach them truly to heart, they will make the world a better place in his absence, and achieve more than he ever could, even if they struggle to understand that.

    Corrin: That's not fair, Xander! You think you can just say something like that and die on me? I'll never be as good as you, Xander... I see that now. I've always looked up to you... You can't leave me!

    Xander: You have already prevailed, little prince/princess. Don't you see? I couldn't lead this world...or Nohr...into peace. But you...you can. And you will. You can do the things I couldn't. That's how you'll surpass me... In the end...

    In short, Xander's death can be summed up as follows. Xander continues to fight after Elise's death not because he isn't thinking straight, staying true to serving Garon, even if he hates his orders, is what Xander does. He doesn't consciously go in intending to die or trying to teach Corrin a lesson, he loses because his resolve falters when it mattered most for him. Corrin sees a victory handed to them they didn't deserve and sees themselves as a failure. Xander sees Corrin as having already surpassed him in remaining true to their convictions even when it hurts them. Choosing to believe that Xander deliberately lost the fight or acted unusually in continuing to fight Corrin both neglects the actual dialogue and diminishes the meaning his death holds to nothing but a needless tragedy. An elegant way to sum up what ultimately happens is a brief analysis of another exchange back from Chapter 1.

    Xander: Well done, Corrin. You're getting stronger every day.

    Corrin: Thanks, Xander. I couldn't have done it without your, uh, tough love.

    Xander: I disagree. I believe you have natural talent. Some day, you could be the greatest warrior in all of Nohr.

    Corrin: Now you're just teasing me.

    Xander: You know me, Corrin. I never joke about serious matters. I mean what I say. You could be the one to bring light to our kingdom so long shrouded in darkness.

    Xander is entirely right in his last statement here, but not remotely for the reasons he says it in this moment. Corrin becomes everything he could have ever wanted them to become, but not on the side he had intended. Regardless, they still became the hope for Nohr he always knew they could be.

    So, one important question remains. Why are other readings of this scene that don't cover these subjects at all so common? I think it stems primarily from two reasons:

    One, is that as the protagonist (and an avatar character at that), many players likely assume Corrin's perspective in Xander's death scene is the correct one, even as Xander himself says that isn't the case. Since Corrin struggles to comprehend Xander's words to them, players who only take Corrin's perspective as legitimate to this scene devalue Xander's own words, and Xander naturally understands his own actions better than Corrin (especially when they're wallowing in self-loathing) does. As a result, somebody who only looks at what they say as the intended takeaway loses the bulk of the scene's meaning.

    Two, and perhaps the more contentious point, is that many people want to seem to try and absolve Xander of responsibility for his actions in this scene. Suggest they're solely out of character actions caused by his poor mental state, or that he really meant well all along. Even accuse the script of being outright contradictory in its portrayal of Xander despite his commitment of loyalty to Garon being resolute throughout this route (and likely only was hardened by his feelings of betrayal by Corrin). To fully understand Birthright Chapter 26, however, is to acknowledge Xander as a deeply flawed individual, whose life philosophy involves the defense of a brutal tyrant, and who is blatantly hypocritical in the beliefs he attempts to impart on Corrin. That doesn't mean I don't think the chapter isn't sympathetic to Xander and his failings. He's just more a sort of conventional tragic character who is undone by his weaknesses than somebody the narrative wants to absolve entirely of faults in his choices. Also like a conventional tragedy, his end is not one devoid of hope for the future, as he dies knowing his ideals will live on through somebody who will carry them out better than he ever could.

    So, that's my analysis. I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of others on it. Think I'm on to something you'd never thought about? Think I'm completely wrong about absolutely everything? Leave a comment, I'm always happy to engage more in discussion about this topic.

    submitted by /u/Visual-Function-213
    [link] [comments]

    Replaying Three Houses

    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 03:46 AM PDT

    I'm thinking of starting my second Three Houses playthrough (my first one was crimson flower). What are the most interesting routes and do I get an extra ending doing all 4 routes? Also, is it worth buying the DLC before staring another playtrough?

    I've read around that Crimson Flower is the weakest of the 4, but what exactly did they cut from that route that I could expect to find in the other ones? Thanks for all the answers!

    submitted by /u/Wizardrylullaby
    [link] [comments]

    For characters that have not been voiced, which voice actor/actress would you assign them with

    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 06:17 PM PDT

    To be more specific. I'm talking about characters from Fire Emblem 1-12 who have yet not been added to Fire Emblem Heroes.

    For Example: If Volke from Tellius gets added in Fire Emblem Heroes. I would like Steve Blum to voice him.

    submitted by /u/Gamestar02
    [link] [comments]

    FE 1 Map 19, help with master key

    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 09:21 PM PDT

    Guys, I'm dying. This is my first fore emblem game, I played through most of it without looking anything up and I've made countless mistakes. I have NO THIEVES left and I am on map 19 where there are a TON of chests. Now, I have a master key, so I walk up to the doors and try and use the master key but it keeps saying "nothing happened." What am I doing wrong???

    submitted by /u/RoscoeAmadeus
    [link] [comments]

    FE3 Cecil unit analysis

    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 06:55 AM PDT

    So, Cecil is a character not many people remember. She is one of the three new cavaliers introduced in FE3 and she might as well not exist as far as the story is concerned. New Mystery gave her more personality, but for the most part she's pretty balnd. However, whenever I've seen people talk about FE3 Book 2 they always mention how great Cecil is. So, let's have a look. Cecil joins in chapter 1 of book 2, out of the three new cavs introduced in FE3 she has the highest base level.

    Cecil has pretty decent bases and growths for FE3 standards, considering how early she joins. Her durability is a bit low as she has only 19 HP and 7 defense at base. Roderick has 20 HP and 6 defense. This might make it seem like they both have the same durability at base, but having higher HP at base is better than having high defense as HP allows you to tank FE3 enemies that ignore defense and magic enemies. Along with that Cecil has only a 50% HP growth and a 10% defense growth, the lowest of the starting cavs. She instead focuses on speed having good base speed and a good growth as well. She also comes in the cavalier class which is great in the early chapters as they can cover large parts of the maps with her high movement.

    However, Cecil's most notable feature is having 7 weapon level. Due to this she can use the Silver Lance, at base. This is incredebly impressive as it has a very high might of 14 which is 2 times higher than the iron lance Luke and Roderick are stuck with. This improves her offenses greately or it would if it weren't for Arran. Yeah, for some reason people think that Cecil is a better user of the Silver Lance and I simply cannot fathom why. Yes, Arran essentially just doesn't have any growth rates, but compared to Cecil he beats her in every single stat, besides luck. Arran has +3 HP, +1 STR, +1 SKL, +3 SPD, -2 LUK, +3 W.Level, +3 DEF, +6 RES and +1 movement. OK, but so what? Cecil has much better growths so she will quickly catch up right? Wrong! Due to how weight works in FE3 Cecil losses 7 speed when using the silver lance, which drops her AS to 1 and you need to have 3AS over the enemy to double them. Now, FE3 enemies most commonly have 0 AS, so Cecil theoretically needs to level up just two times to unleash the fury of the silver lance. But, she isn't gonna level up twice in the first chapter, while Arran can easely one round every enemy in the first chapter, aside from Lorenz, so she will mostly be a filler combat unit in chapter 1. Chapter 2 is pretty good chapter for her as while she is worse than Arran and Catria, while not being good against the wyverns she will be able to double the 0 AS enemies with a iron lance as long as she got a level and procced speed. This gives her an edge over her cav breatheren and despite the many forrests in the chapter she can still make use of her great movement without too much trouble. However, this is where we need to make mention of another one of Cecil's flaws, she comes as a level 3 unit, so she won't gain EXP as quickly as your other two cavs (?), this wouldn't be a problem is you didn't get the ridersbane at the end of chapter 2. The ridersbane is really good in chapter 3 and 5, but Cecil faces competition for it. The most notable competition is actually Luke, who has 7 base speed, so he will double and one round enemy cavs in said chapters, while having more reliability due to hig excellent 90% HP growth meaning that he will be your most durable cav, aside from Arran. And while Cecil can still do the ridersbane stuff and contribute in chapter 3, it's pretty much her last good chapter. Chapter 4 is essentially a Sirius solo after the beginning as he one rounds every enemy bandit while having good durability. Chapter 5 she can contribute, but is outclassed by this point by multiple good lance units, chapter 6 is whatever and she can use the ladyblade and swords OK and afterwards there isn't much reason to ever deploy her. Chapter 7 is a map where only your flyers and Navarre can contribute aside from fighting the fire dragon, in chapter 8 she can contribute, but she faces even more competition from Cain who joins as a level 9 unit mening that he's almost certainly closer to promotion than her and the next few chapters just aren't friendly to cavalry. The only chapters where I'd even consider deplying cavs after this point are Chapter 9, chapter 12, chapter 18, chapter 19 and final 1. And Cecil is among the more more nieche options compared to Sirius or Cain for said chapters.

    Conclusion. Cecil is a decent unit for 6 chapters, all of which she is outclassed in and faces strong competition which she doesn't have enough time to catch up with, while also being in a class that is screwed over by a notable amount of maps. If I had to describe Cecil in one word it would be unofrtunate as she would seem like a great unit in most other FE games, but a few unique parts of FE3's design holds her back immensly without having a notable performance in any chapter, compared to Arran, Sirius and even being a worse option for main cavalry than the like of Luke or Cain. This doesn't mean that she's a bad unit or anything, just that she's somewhat difficult to use and doesn't have much notable about her aside from her being able to use the Silver Lance at base (OK, seriously why do people even hype up said fact).

    Guide to using. If one desires to use Cecil it would be a good idea to funnel some earlygame EXP into her, the star shards and statboosters like the seraph robe help her out immensly. She is best used in outdoor maps, but if one desires to use her in indoor maps it's heavely recommended to give her the lady blade. While, Cecil may require more favoritism than someone like Marth or Catria, Cecil isn't particularly weak in any notable way and is prefectly usable in most casual playthroughs.

    submitted by /u/Every_Computer_935
    [link] [comments]

    Ok I don't know if I can do this here but what game should I play

    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 08:42 PM PDT

    So I have Fire Emblem Awakening (which I have been wanting to play since it's my favorite game and favorite of the series but other games have kept me busy), Fire Emblem Fates (Birthright or conquest, I was too poor to buy the third one), Fire Emblem Echo's: Shadows of Valentia (not a bad pick), or play Fire Emblem Three Houses again and make me cry.

    submitted by /u/PrimalX60
    [link] [comments]

    Mechanic idea for a compromise between casual and classic

    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 09:24 AM PDT

    So I'm currently struggling my way through FE12-maniac and thinking "man, this is torture, but casual seems too much of a step in the opposite direction, to the point of trivializing the game."

    So I was thinking, how about a middle ground? Units DO return to combat after being knocked out, BUT their stats are permanently reduced, to showcase they they've gotten a bad, permanent wound.

    This way, losing a unit doesn't mean the end of the world, and resetting 40 minutes of gameplay, but you are still discouraged from playing too recklessly, as too many casualties means that some units will become too battered and bruised to be properly used: You aren't getting those level-ups back again, and so their max potential is limited.

    Maybe it should function like a reverse-level up, or simply a flat -1 or -2 across all stats.

    You are still punished for dumb decisions, but as long as you don't make too many, you can still carry on your playthrough unhindered. This also encouraged using more units than the standard "gang of 12-16" most FE-players end up with. If a unit gets it's ass kicked too often, you may eventually want to send in a wound-less substitute.

    Any thoughts on whether this would be a good idea?

    submitted by /u/Dankest_Potatoes
    [link] [comments]

    I beat the “Thracia 776 No Gaidens Challenge” and it’s just as harrowing as you think it is

    Posted: 23 Sep 2021 11:04 PM PDT

    No Safy, Lithis, Asbel, Salem, Tina, Pan, or Dancer Lara. No Hammerne, most likely no pre-Sleuf Warping, probably no stealing, no Grafcalibur, no Thief staff tricks, and no Kingmaker. And trust me, the hits don't stop there…

    Here are some tidbits on the run, which I've never seen talked about as a completed endeavor. I'm sure someone else has gone all the way (I've seen people try on occasion) but if they ever fully documented it, I'm somehow missing it. If anyone has other questions, like how specific chapters go, ask away and I might write a longer write-up/guide at some point.

    • You have only three units aside from Saias/Ced in endgame who can feasibly have A staves by the final stretch (Sleuf, Linoan, Sara) and you need all of them. Ergo, you must choose A route (it has a Warp and a Rescue anyway).
    • You have to learn to micromanage fatigue. Good units build it more quickly because there's not as many of them to shoulder heavy loads. Stamina Drinks are very hard to come by (I had to get by with only two).
    • You can get by on bosses with a combination of Finn and Osian for most of the game, but sooner or later you will need a jacked-up Mareeta. Barons and Generals just start getting too bulky, with Nihil/Luna the only things that make a difference anymore, since your only real Mage is Ilios. And Thoron isn't Grafcalibur.
    • Barring that, you can recruit Xavier. He's a godsend, but you have to do it without Sleep/Sleep Edge.
    • You can kill off Dagdar or Tanya before seizing Chapter 3 to make the other one rejoin after Chapter 8. In normal play you can also get one of them captured, but that unlocks a gaiden later.
    • You can kill Fred and ferry Leif across the trap room. I actually liked the clean outcome so much that I might do it in a normal run.
    • It's very helpful to learn to manipulate enemy Berserk logic by unequipping any sure targets, and Sleep by deploying bulky decoys that you don't need. You don't have the option of Warping to capture Salem on the first turn, for example.
    submitted by /u/EnormousHatred
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment